OpenSubtitlesDownload.py is a small Linux software written in python, built to help you quickly find and download subtitles for your favorite videos. It can be used as a nautilus script, or as a regular application working under GNOME or KDE desktop environments. You can also use it in full CLI (Command Line Interface) mode!
The subtitles search is done by precisely identifying your videos files, not by using filename but by generating a unique hash signature from your files. This way, you have more chance to find the exact subtitles corresponding to your videos, avoiding synchronization problems between the subtitles and the soundtrack.
The subtitles search and download service is powered by opensubtitles.org. Big thanks to their hard work on this amazing project! Be sure to give them your support if you appreciate the service provided, they sure need donations for handling the ever growing hosting costs!
- Use a GNOME/GTK or KDE/Qt GUI depending on your desktop environment, or just use the CLI!
- Query subtitles in more than 60 different languages for documentaries, movies, TV shows and more...
- Query subtitles in multiple languages at once.
- Query subtitles for multiple video files at once.
- Detect valid video files (using mime types and file extensions).
- Detect correct video titles by computing hash file signatures, not by reading the filenames.
- Download subtitles automatically if only one is available, select the one you want otherwise.
- Rename downloaded subtitles to match source video file. Possibility to append the language code to the file name (ex: movie_en.srt).
Enjoy your subtitled video!
If multiple subtitles are available, just pick one from the list!
You can even enables more infos on the selection windows:
Use OpenSubtitlesDownload to search for subtitles in different languages simultaneously:
Quick installation as a nautilus script, under GNOME 3 desktop environment:
$ git clone https://github.com/emericg/OpenSubtitlesDownload.git
$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/nautilus/scripts/
$ cp OpenSubtitlesDownload/OpenSubtitlesDownload.py ~/.local/share/nautilus/scripts/OpenSubtitlesDownload.py
$ chmod u+x ~/.local/share/nautilus/scripts/OpenSubtitlesDownload.py
- python (version 2 or 3)
- zenity (only for GNOME based desktop environments)
- kdialog (only for KDE based desktop environments)
- basic unix tools: wget & gzip (subtitles downloading), ps & grep (gui autodetection)
You can download the latest developer version with the "downloads" buttons on the header of this page, or you can find various versions of the script on the download page of the wiki, with changelogs and everything!
- Usage as a regular CLI script
- Installation as a nautilus script (preferred method)
- Installation under GNOME desktop environment
- Installation under KDE desktop environment
After the installation you can adjust several settings to make OpenSubtitlesDownload.py an even better experience suiting your every needs! Learn more on the Adjust settings wiki page.
Available settings includes:
- Language selection
- Full automatic mode
- GUI window size
- Additionnal columns for the subtitles selection window
- Language codes embeded into the subtitles files names
- Emeric Grange firstname.lastname@example.org lead developer & maintainer
- Gui13 for his work on the arguments parsing
- Tomáš Hnyk email@example.com for his work on the 'multiple language' feature
- Carlos Acedo firstname.lastname@example.org for his work on the original script
OpenSubtitlesDownload.py is a free software released under the GPL v3 license http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt